SpamExperts - How to report spam or ham to the cloud
This article was posted in: Email
Sometimes, messages which seem like spam manage to get through our filters. Sometimes messages which are not spam (ham) get blocked. Spam is very difficult to analyse with 100% accuracy. SpamExperts uses on crowdsourcing to obtain information on new spam threats. You can add to the accuracy of the system by submitting spam or ham messages to the system as follows.
Most email clients
Most email clients allow you to save an email message in EML format.
Simply open the message in question, and from the File menu choose Save As or Export.
When saving the message, make sure it is being saved in the EML format.
Manually uploading the EML file to SpamExperts
Log into cPanel and click on the SpamExperts icon in the EMAIL section.
In the Incoming section, click on the appropriate button.
Note: If your email contains sensitive or confidential data, we recommend you do NOT submit it. While data is anonymised and hashed where possible, we cannot guarantee the security of email contents being submitted.
Upload or drag and drop the EML file into the dotted area as shown. That's it - once you have completed this step, the message will be automatically analysed by the cloud and key aspects of it will improve the heuristic scanning of email by the global SpamExperts system.
Dedicated reporting plugin for Outlook 2007, 2010, and 2013
You can install a plugin which will report spam directly to our spam filtering system. It is available here:
Since version 2010, Office is also available in 64 bits. If you have a 64-bits Windows installed, you most probably also have Office in 64 bits. In order for the add-on to work, you should install the correct version that matches your Outlook version.
For Outlook 2007 you have to use the 32 bits version.
These are also compatible with the new Outlook 2013, both 32 bits & 64 bits.
If you are not sure which version you have, it should be indicated if you select About from the Help menu - the example image below shows a 32 bit version.
- Download the relevant .MSI file according to your Office version.
- Proceed to run the downloaded file. If you are using Microsoft Windows Vista or 7, then you should run the file with administrator priveledges. To do this, right click on the downloaded icon and choose 'Run as Administrator'.
- When you have reached Setup Wizard, click 'Next' on the first page.
- You will be then presented with the location you wish to install the program. The default settings here would be fine.
- If you would like this addon to be available for your user account only, choose 'Just for me', otherwise click 'For Everyone' and then click next.
- The 'Disk Cost' button shows you the disk space availability on the PC.
- Click 'Next' on the following screen to proceed to confirm the installation.
- Your addon will then proceed to install.
- Once installed restart your Microsoft Outlook, and your addon will be visible in the 'addins' tab.
If users experience an error when installing "Module C:\Program Files\Outlook Spam Report addon\ReportSpam.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895 Contact your support personnel".
Then this usally means the system you are installing it on is missing certain runtime files. This can be resolved by installing "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)". This can be found here. We are currently working on including this in the build of the next version.
To report spam, select the message that passed the filter that you wish to report, and then click the new 'Report Spam' button.
The message will then be reported and moved to the 'Trash' folder.