How to configure Outlook 2010 for IMAP mail
This article was posted in: Email
This article assumes that you have already configured a mailbox using a Krystal cPanel account. To carry out the instructions in this article you will need the Manual Settings for your mailbox. You can obtain these in cPanel > Email Accounts by clicking on the More button next to your mailbox details, and selecting Configure Email Client.
Start Outlook 2013 from the Windows Start Button, or by opening it from the Applications folder or Desktop.
Click the File (1) menu item, then on the next screen, click the Add Account (2) button.
On the following screen, choose Manually configure server settings or additional server types. The automatic method that Outlook provides gets so many things wrong, it's quicker to simply set it up manually. Click Next.
On the Choose Service panel, select Internet E-mail and click Next.
- Your Name : enter your name as you would like it to appear to your recipients.
- E-mail Address : the full mailbox address that you set up previously in cPanel.
- Account Type : choose IMAP from the dropdown list.
- Incoming mail server : enter your Home Server name as provided in your welcome email (which may differ from the example).
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP) : enter the same as your incoming mail server, above.
- User Name : the full mailbox address of the mailbox you created earlier in cPanel.
- Password : the mailbox password (NOT your cPanel account password).
- Remember password : ticked
Click More Settings... button.
On the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box, click the Outgoing Server tab at the top. Tick the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication check box. Do NOT click OK yet!
- Incoming server (IMAP) : 993
- Outgoing server (SMTP) : 465
- Set SSL for both incoming and outgoing encrypted connections.
Select SSL from both drop down boxes marked. The remaining default settings are as shown. Click OK.
Back on the Add New Account panel, click the Next button.
You should now see a brief test take place, which should be successful. Just click Close, and then Finish. That's it!
Step 10 - Making sure messages are stored correctly
Click on the File menu, and then click the Account Settings button.
Click on the E-mail tab, then click on the email account you setup previously (2) and then click the Change... button.
Click the More Settings button
Check that the Sent Items tab looks as shown (the email address will differ).
Check that the Deleted Items tab looks as shown (the email address will differ).
Click OK, then click Next then click Close, then click Finish!